Interesting point about the Ericson window issue - while C&C has changed
window designs a few times, Ericsons maintained the same frames for most of
their production, and they do seem to develop leaks. The boats with not
teak around the windows have aged well, but I've seen many newer ones with
lots of teak where the wood around the windows was badly stained. Of the
boats I've looked at, both C&C and Ericson seem to be guilty of not always
bedding fittings sufficiently well, or using backing plates, at least on
the earlier boats (70s). This '74 35-2 only has washers under the winches
and other fittings; no backing plates appear to have been used. No signs of
gelcoat cracking anywhere though.

I was quite surprised to find the original windows on this 35-2 don't
appear to leak, at least after a day of moderate wet coast rain. Driving
rain or spray might be different.

I did sponge out the bilge on our first visit, and after 24 hrs of rain,
there was only a tiny bit more water from the bow, probably from the anchor
locker.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still struggling with the decision, so I
may be crazy, since enough people have told me to walk away!