FWIW, I think the dripless seals are overrated.  I've had my boat 18 years with
the packing from the previous owner and I've never tightened the packing gland.
 After a relaunch, a Yanmar engine mechanic cautioned me from tightening the
packing nut for three days after a launch.  He said wait three days for the
boat to return to floating geometry and it worked.  It leaks for a few days
after launch and then returns to spec, dripping slightly during run and no drip
when shaft is still.   Since I haven't taken it apart I can't say what it is,
but as an HVAC mechanic who worked on many large pumps with carbon ring seals w
SS springs, leaks were usually caused when carbon rings cracked.  Carbon is
brittle and they were either tight or leaking and didn't allow you to tighten
the gland nut like old style packing.

If I ever replace the packing on my boat it will probably be with the synthetic
stuff that still allows me to tighten the packing nut.

Chuck