" It's kinda like when you see a cruise ship or a working boat and the damn
thing is lit up like a Christmas tree.  You can't even find the navigation
lights in the mess, certainly not quickly, but it's legal."

Actually, that is more or less a requirement, that the decks be
illuminated, see (c) below:

*Rule 30 (Anchored vessels and vessels aground)*

(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:

(i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;

(ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level that the light prescribed in
subparagraph (i), an all-round white light.

(b) A vessel of less than 50 m in length may exhibit an all-round white
light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in
paragraph (a) of this Rule.

*(c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 m and more in length
shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate
her decks.*

Ken H.