These responses are super helpful! Four years in, we remain novices,
which makes it hard to even know the questions to ask. No matter the
approach we take, it is clear that replacing the washers and adding backing
plates is part of the project. I was a little perplexed by the aft keel
bolt washers and unsuccessfully poked around the internet for a while
trying to figure out if that was normal or something done by a previous
owner.

We did have a soft grounding in mud on the side of a channel while motoring
back to our marina this fall (in full view of everyone, including incoming
flights to DCA, of course). We were going pretty slow and ended up
drifting/sliding off, but physics is tricky, so I have no idea what was
going on down there. About a week later we had the boat hauled and
transported by trailer to her new home about an hour away. Maybe that
loosened things up? Luckily we now have better access to boatyards. We've
had folk from two take a look at the keel while the boat was in slings (our
new marina and another boatyard), but have not had a formal survey. While
we got an estimate for the keel-drop/re-bedding, both suggested that the
tightening/filling route is an option. There is also the "another boat"
option to consider. It is greener, and just on the other side of the fence.

So, my new question is, if we do have keel bolt degradation, bolt hole
elongation (not entirely sure what this is, but it sounds dire), or
structural damage to the sump, would we still expect wiggle after
tightening? In other words, if we tighten the keel bolts and wiggle ceases,
has the problem most likely been resolved?

Thank you for the insights!