First off I will echo what a few others have said already and I'm sure a
moderator will say fairly soon; this list is for the discussion of the Cocoa
and Cocoa Touch APIs not the tools commonly used to develop using said APIs.
There are forums and an Xcode users list that are appropriate for such
discussions.

For those of you groaning about the switch to the much requested single window
UI (that actually was almost possible in Xcode 3) I just have to ask; why do
you need so many windows open at the same time with various files? Is it
because you are coding ADD style (write a few lines in this file then jump to
another one then a third), or are you perhaps coupling you classes so tightly
together that that are really just one huge class with numerous files. :)
If you really want lots of open files for you project check out SubEthaEdit,
(http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/) it is a text editor designed for
code of all flavors and can have either one window with tabs or multiple
windows. It even has buttons to trigger builds in Xcode so you don't have to
switch apps to build.
You can close all of those extra bits that creep into the window, like the
navigator/issues/etc area, debugger area, and detail/inspector area. The manual
has the shortcuts listed.
The bottom of the inspector area also has a code snippets section that you can
add custom snippets that you can later drag into code (complete with tokens) in
addition to the IB section (it also has a file template library that you can
drag templates over to the navigation area if you don't want to use the new
file assistant).

On 25 Jul, 2011, at 12:50 AM, cocoa-dev-requ...@lists.apple.com wrote:

> Can anyone recommend where I can read up on (not something lengthy please)
> or watch how to make Xcode 4 work?
There are actually several Xcode 4 documents on the developer site, there is
even one specifically for transitioning from Xcode 3 to Xcode 4 (called 'Xcode
4 Transition Guide'). I know these constitute manuals and engineers don't read
those but a couple hours reading the manual could save you lots of time and
frustration later when you can't find something and just assume that the
feature doesn't exist. Check the Tools & Language section of the developer
library for a complete list of Xcode related documents. :)
These resources are in addition to the WWDC videos that have been mentioned
already, and I am sure there will be numerous blog posts in the near future.

> Also, is there anyway I could create my app in Xcode 3.2.6 and then some how
> open it up in Xcode 4 and do the final build in there so that it works for
> the latest iOS?
Yes, you won't get the new shinny bit of Lion that way, but you can write your
entire app in Xcode 3 and then open the project in Xcode 4 just to build. I
have used this for the Core Data prototyping tool that is currently MIA in
Xcode 4 (yes, feature request has been filed, during WWDC actually). I have
successfully opened projects in 3 & 4 going back and forth (mine are generally
pretty small compared to most I think) without issue.

Also, please notice the quote below, not sure who said it, but it is totally
true.

Mike Swan
ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrician
http://theMikeSwan.com
http://www.michaelsswan.com

"Change itself is not painful it is resistance to change that causes pain."