Le 25 juil. 2011 à 09:47, vincent habchi a écrit :

> Well, I wouldn’t want to throw more oil on the fire, as the French saying
> goes, but, in my opinion, this looks like tycoons arguing about the color of
> their Ferraris or which Bordeaux grand cru  (or whatever else).

Xcode is a tool we have to use all the day. This is not just a luxury product
we don't need at all.

> I used to be a Unix (NetBSD) developer, coding with vi(m), and managing
> projects with the BSD make, and so forth (I also used Qt3/4-Designer) – I
> still do that when fixing code for the "ports" I’m responsible of. I can
> insure you whatever flaws there may be in this or that version of Xcode, it
> is still a great coding environment: no need to keep track of methods or
> compilation errors on a separate sheet of paper, autocompletion is great,
> etc. And IB is also way ahead QT-Designer, for example.
>
> I understand ease of development is important; but what count most (IMO,
> always) is what the users think about your product. And Xcode UI has
> definitely no impact on this: Compiler and OS do. Even with the most
> beautiful and useful UI, a perfect code going through a compiler that insert
> thousand of useless assembler lines and a buggy OS is going to lead to a
> disastrous experience. With LLVM, Apple engineers have accomplished an
> amazing job of modernizing GCC and MacOS is a great OS to work on. That alone
> should make everybody happy.

Nice to know you don't care about how much time it take to code this great
product you're talking about. When I spend much of my time fighting with the
IDE, I can't be happy though.

And FWIW, I don't care about which compiler version is sold with Xcode 4, it
always lack behind my nightly build of clang I'm using in Xocde 3 for some time
now.

-- Jean-Daniel