Here is my theory…

I know that Xcode is used internally at Apple, but not always the same versions
we get. I know that Xcode 3.x was still used internally by a lot of teams for
some time after Xcode 4.x was pushed on us in the consumer side. Now that Xcode
4.3 is pushing LLDB on us with project level warnings (I RAGE that I can't turn
that off), even though LLDB is packed full of bugs, I know Apple has a version
that still uses GDB by default. Even at WWDC, the Xcode preview we got was
different than the Xcode that was used on stage (menus and buttons in different
locations than we get).

So I think sometimes we are the Guinea pigs because internally teams do not
always use the latest new shinny versions of the same tools we get. Our radars
knock out the bugs faster than they do internally at Apple.  Not by some grand
intention either. Internal teams don't fall under the same rules we do for what
version of Xcode we have to use to get into the App Stores. The different teams
at Apple can mandate older or other internal builds and never have to drive to
use an updated version until later.

This is all theory but it's an educated one.

--
Zac Bowling