> I guess I wasn't quite clear there.  It was my intention as well to strip
> the "collections" part of the current packaging before the release.
And I guess I wasn't clear in that I saw leaving it in a collections package
for its first release as being useful. Let me explain...

IMHO these highly useful classes have been relatively hidden within
[collections] and haven't gained a clear community (virtually no emails
about them). They are being used quietly though, always good.

Now that a new project has been created, I think that we are seeing signs of
more interest and more committers. I want to retain some flexibility for new
committers (and I guess I include myself in that) to make changes and
improve the codebase.

The reason that this matters is that there are interfaces involved that we
can't change later. So what might get changed? Well I don't see the need to
remove anything from the current interfaces. I do believe that there are
some methods that can be added. (separate email thread). I have also said
that I believe the package structure needs examining, as I definitely want
to add some maps.

This is why I would like the first [primitives] release to be in the
collections package (and was why I originally proposed a 0.1 number).

a) Release 1.0 [primitives] using *collections.primitives** package.

b) Agree and write new interfaces and code in new packages based on the
existing code, and using the same tests.

c) Deprecate [primitives] *collections.primitives** classes to the new
interfaces/code/packages.

d) Release 2.0 of [primitives].

If I have understood things correctly, this serves the existing users and
axion, as they get a released codebase with no package change at present. If
desired, they can use this for all time. It also serves future [primitives]
users in that it can improve on what we already have.

I hope that I have explained clearly this time as to where I want
[primitives] to go, and how I want to get there. Let me know if this works
for you as a plan.

Stephen

From: "Rodney Waldhoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>