The shortfall with this idea is that most projects that have established thier own TLP are also maintaining thier own virtual host name.

maven.apache.org
ant.apache.org
cocoon.apache.org

how would these relate to java.apache.org? Do they drop thier indepenendent host names for

java.apache.org/maven
java.apache.org/ant
java.apache.org/cocoon

or

maven.java.apache.org
ant.java.apache.org
cocoon.java.apache.org

this seems unneccessary, its highly unlikely there will be any other "ant", "cocoon" or "maven" projects at Apache. SO maintaining thier "namespace" as "optimized as possible is both clean and well marketed.

-Mark

Ryan Hoegg wrote:
Perhaps this is a good reason to revive the java.apache.org site. This would allow jakarta to maintain a separate identity from all other java projects at apache.

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

Quoting David Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

The challenge is, of course, that Jakarta doesn't contain (and never
did) all of
the "written in the Java language" software at Apache. Even before
subprojects
like Ant, James, and Maven graduated to TLPs, there was the Java code in
all
the xml.apache.org project (including Cocoon early on, but that's also
graduated).

That's not how I intended my comments to be taken. I would like Jakarta to keep its Java focus but I never meant that all Apache Java projects should be hosted by Jakarta.

But I'm concerned that that's what outside people are likely to *assume* it
means, even though we all know better. In other words, they're going to think
it means "ALL things [EMAIL PROTECTED]" instead of "SOME things [EMAIL PROTECTED]".

David

Craig

Is someone who comes to the Jakarta home page going to find out they can
download, say, an SVG viewer that is written in Java (Batik)?

I would agree that a web presence that let people identify all the
Java-based
projects (or a search capability that lets you specify implementation
language
as a criteria) would be a very useful feature. I don't believe that
such a web
presence needs to correspond to the legal organization of the projects
themselves within Apache (although that should, of course, be visible by
some
means as well for those that are interested).

Craig

-- Mark Diggory Software Developer Harvard MIT Data Center http://osprey.hmdc.harvard.edu