Dain Sundstrom wrote:

On May 13, 2004, at 8:39 PM, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

There is a convergence between the Gump Integration and this unstable repository which I hope is occurring, eventually, we hope that Gump will be used to produce a nightly build repository for projects, and that most projects will start taking advantage of this Continuous Integration for their development. I have been watching (lurking?) the Gump folks diligently working on this and I think its coming along.

I think that implying that Gump will be used by every project is a bit ivory tower. The reality is some projects simply don't want or need continuous integration. Also, Gump is not the only continuous integration system in opensource. I am very concerned that about linking access to SNAPSHOTs to the use of a continuous integration system.

Until this is complete, the unstable repository is available for those who need to release unstable builds. Because it is on cvs.apache.org, it is not mirrored, nor does it endup at ibiblio. This unstable repository should not be utilized by non-apache developers, eventually, we may consider some form of security to restrict access to it.

This is a no go for geronimo. There are 3 other projects outside of apache that use geronimo snapshots and geronimo in return imports the snapshots from these other projects in to the final assembly. If snapshot access were turned off, our entire build system would stop to work.

-dain

I'm just curious, what are those projects?

My statement may sound a little too much like an ultimatum. The goal is to have both Apache and External projects "releasing" against Official Versioned Apache Artifacts as "Dependencies" not Unstable Versions. Of course, anyone interested in "Developing" against an "Unstable version" could utilize the Unstable Repository. If usage of the Repository became an issue in terms of server load, that would probibly be addressed at such a time.

Also, Lets be clear here because I think there's a mixup in terminology which people are encountering:

*SNAPSHOT*
A link in the repository to the latest version of the artifact
Examples:
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/commons-collections/jars/commons-collections-SNAPSHOT.jar
commons-collections-SNAPSHOT.jar --> commons-collections-3.0.jar

http://cvs.apache.org/repository/commons-math/jars/commons-math-SNAPSHOT.jar
commons-math-SNAPSHOT.jar --> commons-math-20040313.204326.jar

*Dated or Nightly Build*
An unofficial release for developerment or integration testing purposes, it is an artifact in the repository identified by a date-version number instead of a full release version number.
Example:
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/commons-math/jars/commons-math-20040313.204326.jar

*Offical Versioned Release* An offically voted on release of a projects artifact. http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/commons-collections/jars/commons-collections-3.0.jar

SNAPSHOTS exist in both repository locations

Unstable Repository
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/....

Official Apache Repository:
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/....

In the unstable repository SNAPSHOTS point at Dated Builds, in the Apache Repository SNAPSHOTS point at Official Verisoned Releases.

Remember the old Open Source Moto: "Release Often, Release Early".

Attempting to get the Unstable Repository contents built nightly via Gump is something we would like to try because its already building these artifacts, we're just trying to get the contents into the proper format and location. The automation makes it possible to build and test your project against the latest development build of its dependencies.

-Mark