On 12/1/05, Phil Steitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 11/30/05, Martin Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Adding to what Stephen said, voting +1 to me means at a minimum you're
> > > indicating knowledge of the code and/or an intention to support it in
> > > some way. For me I can do that on only 3 to 5 of the Commons
> > > components. A good example is FileUpload - as a user I would like to
> > > see a release, but I only recently looked at a bit of the code and
> > > made a minor contribution. When it comes to a vote I'm not sure
> > > whether I'll vote for it or not as I don't think I have the time to
> > > actually provide any support. Is this the generally accepted criteria
> > > or do others follow more or less lenient criteria?
> >

> > I think most people voting +1 are _not_ saying they're prepared to support
> > it. Rather, they're saying something more like "I've checked out the
> > proposed distribution, and didn't see any issues, so I'm happy for the
> > Commons Foo team to release it as is". How much work is behind each +1 I'm
> > sure varies from person to person. Some, like Stephen, are putting more
> > effort into checking out the builds than they used to, while I'm sure others
> > are more lenient.
> >
> > I hope I'm not wrong on this. If I am, and you're right, Niall, then I might
> > as well give up on ever getting another FileUpload release out the door,
> > based on how few people other than myself have ever touched the code base
> > over the last several years.
> >
> > --
> For me +1 means pretty much what Martin describes above.  I check the
> release contents, make sure required elements are there and in jars,
> make sure there is nothing funny included.  I test the builds,
> validate sigs, etc and inspect the web site and, if present,
> clirr/jdiff and look carefully at the release notes.  I also review
> the javadoc, maven reports and POM.   I do try to learn a little more
> with each release that I review; but at this point I can only provide
> support for a handful of commons components personally, so my +1
> really just means I have validated the release and based on what I see
> and have seen on the list the release is good to go.
>
> I have been derelict over the past couple of weeks though, due to this
> being a very busy time of year and my trying to get [math] released.
> I will review the outstanding candidates ASAP.

OK this is good to know - "checking a release" is doable. I think I'd
come to the view I had based on the type of thing people put in a
vote:

[ ] +1 I support this release and am willing to help
[ ] +0 I support this release and am unable to help

The difference between +1 and +0 here implies some further commitment
after the vote.

Niall