On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Leo Simons wrote:

<rant-disclaimer>
Why do people think submitting patches is difficult?

Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but I'm
tired of having someone propose a new committer because he or she thinks
that the patch submission process is "too difficult".  CVS, patch, and
email are not difficult subjects to master.

> - learn how to generate patch
> - figure out where to send the patch
> - generate patch
> - type e-mail
> - send patch with e-mail to infrastructure list
> - followup on the responses
> - make a change to your patch as requested by infrastructure
>   team
> - send another e-mail

This process is part of the community process.  If you continue to submit
patches with merit, you'll probably end up with karma.  :-)  If you are in
a rush to contribute code to a project, go to SourceForge or java.net and
start a documentation project.
</rant-disclaimer>

<snip/>

> no, the barrier is not high. Yes, it is too high for many, many potential
> contributors.

No it isn't, I think you are confusing the fact that people don't
generally like to contribute documentation.  Instead of lowering the
barriers for "potential contributors", we need to do a better job of
creating an atmosphere where a non-committer knows that a patch submission
will not sit in Bugzilla for months before being "discovered".

Tim