On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> > I think you are confusing the fact that people don't generally
> > like to contribute documentation.
>
> Although I consider this orthogonal to shared pages (people can cut and
> paste vs. link on the Wiki as easily as the static sites), I do believe that
> lowering the barrier (CVS or XML) has demonstrably increased documentation
> contribution.

Agreed, there is a problem in that guidelines and policies are duplicated
across the apache.org domain and sometimes presented in draft form on the
site.  This leads to confusing situations where two people disagree on
process, who can propose a release, what is a PMC, etc.

> In the case of James, we have had far more contribution to our pages via the
> Wiki from normal users, than their taking time to learn the XML
> documentation scheme.  Users feel directly empowered.  But I consider shared
> content and Wiki use to be unrelated.

I consider these issues to be unrelated as well.  I'm not questioning the
value of the Wiki, I think it has worked for the projects that have
decided to use it, but from what I see it is no substitute for documents
that need to be viewed as "policy".

The docs I think people are talking about are more analogous to the Magna
Carta, or a legal document.