Hi,

(wow, this really is the thread that just wouldn't die!)

On 26 Sep 2004, at 23:48, Stephen McConnell wrote:

What is in question is the openness of the Apache Software Foundation
and that question is of interest to every committer at Apache.

Sure, fine, I think most people get that.

It is my opinion the Niclas posted his initial comments to the list
simply as a "heads-up" to each and every committer here that something
happened recently that simply was not right.

No problem with Niclas bringing up the question. His methodology, however, was inappropriate.

you seem to agree that acceptable behaviour is defined by agreements.
very well, let me spell it out: by participating in the apache
projects,
you are tacitly agreeing to abide by the rules behaviour the
organisation
considers acceptable.  in case it wasn't clear, let me make it so now:
one of those is "if someone entrusts information to you in confidence,
you DO NOT expose it unless legally required or with the permission of
the source."

Will the actions taken by Niclas in defending the principals of openness
and community within the ASF simply lead to another statement of
"serious reservation" concerning his role and potential contribution?

You're missing the point and blowing things out of proportion. The point here, in case you missed it, is that Niclas posted private mail on a public list. This is extremely bad manners, and breaches the "rules behaviour the organisation considers acceptable" - organisation here not necessarily being ASF, but the general internet public-at-large.

For the record - the relevant elements of the email header of the
notification I received and from which I initiated a dialog with Niclas
are included here: