There is a lot to be said about standards, but common sense should
prevail.     Very few things have remained the same in computers,  such
as the program language you use.    I've programmed for years and C is
not the same as it was when I started and will not compile on the
original compilers.   Is that a bad thing?   Heck no!   I much prefer
the advancements over slavish devotion to remain  compatible at all
costs.

On the other hand I don't think standards should be broken at the drop
of a hat.     Microsoft breaks standards on purpose as a matter of
course just to remain incompatible and to distinguish themselves and
discourage people from moving to superior operating system.

GTP pretty much replace GMP.    A lot of resistance because GMP was the
defacto standard at the time.   It would have been foolish to insist on
being backwards compatible.

I think this is a good move.   Make your software read both formats
seamlessly,  and make it write either format optionally.     Provide
conversion utilities that convert in both directions.     It's a
relatively painless improvement to SGF.

- Don