Thanks Hideki, Chris and Jacques for your replies.

> Hideki wrote:
> Then, you can make a very simple program that passes a file to stdout
> first and passes stdin to stdout after the end-of-file of the file.
> And use it as "a.out file | mogo <arguments>".
Is this not the way a "tail -f" works?
This is the method I use with gnugo to let te programs play against
each other. The communication between the programs and server program
are all using files. This seems fast enough, while I can check all
the communications which took place.
This tail -f fails in the same way.

To check things even more, I tried to communicate using C with popen():
> FILE *ptr;
> if ((ptr = popen("mogo --9 --nbTotalSimulations 3000 > mogoout", "w")) !=
> NULL)
> {
> fprintf(ptr, "boardsize 9\n");
> fprintf(ptr, "genmove b\n");
> sleep(60);
> }

But the result is the same, after these commands, mogo still continues to
perform multiple genmoves. I am puzzled here...

I will look at the ruby script, and there are also twogtp scripts of gnugo
in python, perl etc. which I could check.

Edward.