Marc Landgraf <mahrgell87 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Out of curiosity...In the picture you linked
> ( http://i59.tinypic.com/10cnu5c.jpg ), how does your program read
> the position in the top left, considering the illegal stone there?
>
> Or does it not have any Go rules knowledge and leaves the interpretation
> to the user? In that case it may create .sgf with illegal moves in it.
> Considering during a regular game, you will actually snapshot illegal
> positions a few times (when you take a picture between placing the stone
> and removing the captures) I'm really wondering how your program handles it.

Of course it is advisable to take every picture after the removal of the
stones possibly captured; the program expects such stones to be removed from
the goban. Otherwise, two cases are possible. First one, the player forgot
to remove the stone (or did not make in time): in such a case the program
detects the error and asks the user what to do next. Second, a suicide move
was played (willingly or not). In such a case the program checks the rules
and, if suicide is not allowed, again asks the user what to do next
(otherwise it gets on). But as this particular problem does not concern the
main algorithm, we have not made a final decision. There are other options
on the table (for example automatic error correction/stone addition).

mr. Andrea Carta