Constance Warner sez:
> There isn't any special tool to remove a broken prong
> that's stuck in the power port of an iBook; this from
> Alan Carroll of macUpgrades (disclosure: he's my
> husband).  The remedy: have the power port replaced

What does Alan charge to replace the port? Apple has a flat rate of $280 to repair anything on an old Mac, hardly worth it for just the port on an old notebook. The iBook still works for basics, but I had to borrow an MCE battery charger that should be returned next Tuesday.
solutions? http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/2005/10/fixing_a_broken.html
http://www.macintouch.com/ibook2001pt13.html - Removing broken plug
http://www.powerbooktech.com/part,name-Power-Input-Board-for-iBook-G3,ibook-white-g3-12.htm and http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBook-G3-12-Inch/DC-In-Board/50/16/ [but I'll have to remove 41 screws and put them all back correctly to replace the port myself, and maybe do some soldering too--a 2+ hour project.]

Wayne Dernoncourt sez:
Does anyone know why Apple doesn't license someone to
make connectors for other types of power.  Say for
example for a cars 12 volt lighter (I forget what the
"right" term is)?  I heard a rumor that's bound to be
crap that says that originally Apple wanted to
serialize them so that you could only use the power
supply that came with your computer.  If you broke
that, you would have to order a new one.  Sort of like
the deal with the fancy new car keys that go for a
couple of hundred a pop.

How good are you with building electronics? A friend made a solar charger for his powerbook several years ago. Make magazine has interesting challenges. I found this more recent project- http://blogs.experience.com/Patrick/2007/01/portable-solar-power-for-1_116769220143696495.html and more, http://www.ecofriend.org/entry/how-to-make-your-own-solar-charger/.

You might get an inverter for under $100. Plug it into your car's receptacle and it converts DC to AC.

Betty