> Next :
> On this page
> http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/advisories/advisory.php?name=MDKA-2003:020
>
> Mandrake says that all of the mandrakeclub commercial drivers are
> available.
> Quote:
> "New commercial drivers for this kernel are available at Mandrake
> Club."
> Now my English is a bit rusty but this should mean that they are there
> wright NOW !!!!!
> I don't see them here :
> http://rpms.mandrakeclub.com/rpms/MandrakeClub/comm/9.2/i586/ByDate.html

Maybe you have an old page cached, but at least all the NVidia kernel
packages have been updated. I hope the ATI and winmodem drivers could also
be updated, if not I will do at least the ltmodem drivers (but if
Mandrakesoft isn't going to take care of this they could at least make the
SRPMS available to contributors - my NVIDIA and ltmodem packages have been
done mostly from scratch).

BTW, this is better than 9.1, where Mandrakesoft did not update any of the
proprietary kernel modules, and Club contributors did it all.

Also, it would be nice if we could be warned in advance for some updates,
as if I had known .18mdk would be the kernel update, I could have had
win4lin kernel updates out at the same time, instead I built packages
yesterday (remotely) and haven't had a chance to test them yet ...
although Netraverse has released some but their packages have some issues

> After updating my system KDE lost its desktop and also menus.
> Deleting a user and adding it again didn't work.
> I wasn't even able to run rxvt since alt+f2 didn't work.
> Luckily there was menudrake in the menus so i restored the original
> menus.
>
> You people need a reality check.

I don't think so. I think the current problem is not enough resources (ie
more people sending patches, maintaining packages would help).

> And some really heavy quality
> assuring since this is really unprofessional. I don't remember
> something like this happening before.

Yes, Redhat didn't manage to stuff rpm up this badly before ...

> Now desktop issues don't bother me really but if such obvious things are
> happening what is going to happen with nonobvious.
> I'm currently building a new firewall/ruter using 9.2 and I'm starting
> to question myself should i do it with 9.2.
> I can't afford such stupid things to happen on a central firewall in my
> network.

If you're going to use shorewall, get Florin's updated packages.

> Now how do you think this looks in the eyes of a desktop user ?
> It shoes that Mandrake is really unprofessional.

I haven't seen the menu problem on my cooker box, so I don't agree. And I
think the fact that many bugs have been fixed by updates so fast is a good
thing.

> It's no wonder that people look at me weird when a say that i use
> Mandrake for all of my servers.

Most people are just clueless, and run Redhat because everyone else does,
Debian because they think they don't need newer software releases, or
Gentoo because they think that cool compile flags will really make their
firewall run faster.

> Maybe I should try some other distribution but since i have been using
> Mandrake since 7.0 or so it would be really sad.

Instead of dissing a distro you have significant investment in, maybe you
could actually help to improve it? Many of us do, and that is one reason
why it *is* actually worthwhile.

Oh yes, of course you should always read the errata before installing. And
maybe someone needs to add the menu issue to it for now.

BTW, doesn't logging out and back in fix it? update-menus should be run
from /etc/X11/xinit.d I think?