bccz> Maybe you have an old page cached, but at least all the NVidia kernel
bccz> packages have been updated. I hope the ATI and winmodem drivers could also
I know how to check for a page in cache. It wasn't it.

bccz> BTW, this is better than 9.1, where Mandrakesoft did not update any of the
bccz> proprietary kernel modules, and Club contributors did it all.
True.

bccz> I don't think so. I think the current problem is not enough resources (ie
bccz> more people sending patches, maintaining packages would help).
 Well that's mandrakesofts problem. If they don't have enough money to
 hire people they should ask for more volunteers.

bccz> If you're going to use shorewall, get Florin's updated packages.

Shorewall is a nice but when you have to build a firewall for network
which has 150+ users and 15+ classes of users that won't do.

bccz> I haven't seen the menu problem on my cooker box, so I don't agree. And I
bccz> think the fact that many bugs have been fixed by updates so fast is a good
bccz> thing.

Well if you haven't seen it a loot of others have.
Don't get me wrong updates are always good but they also show
that 9.2 wasn't tested enough.

bccz> Most people are just clueless, and run Redhat because everyone else does,
bccz> Instead of dissing a distro you have significant investment in, maybe you
bccz> could actually help to improve it? Many of us do, and that is one reason
bccz> why it *is* actually worthwhile.

O now you really got me going.
Well let see.
I few years ago I needed postfix with mysql support. postfix in
mandrake didn't have it. I downloaded srpm and found that mysql was in
but switch in spec file wasn't activated. It took quite a while for a
new package to appear. Even one security update was released but the
switch wasn't activated. Once more i had to build it myself.
What's the big deal? I had to avoid using automatic update procedure
since it would break my mail server.
Next:
The same time I needed cyrus-imapd but no mandrake didn't have it.
Strange it was in 7.0/7.1. let me check. I pull from the closet my old
powerpacks and see that cyrus imapd was inside.
Ok again the same thing. I make a cyrus-imapd rpm. Test it for a few
days. everything is ok. After 2 years it's still working happily.
After some time I clean that spec file and send it cooker list.
Just wonted to help out. Nobody cares.
2 years later cyrus-imapd still is not in standard set.
I wasted all of my votes on it as so many others did but nobody
listens to us. The newest msn chat client or some other crap is
probably more important.

Next: a couple of posts concerning bugs missing functionality etc. all
passed by nobody cared.

Next: mandrakeclub been a member since it was made. It wasn't worth
the money but still I'm a member. Why ? because I want to help.
It looks like nobody cares.

bccz> Oh yes, of course you should always read the errata before installing. And
bccz> maybe someone needs to add the menu issue to it for now.

How is errata being built. Some user has complained that that is not
working.
Lets look at a sample of current errata. At the end of install update is not
possible. Reality check - nobody bothered to check. Really ugly.
Fix :
"Format a floppy disk with a DOS filesystem
(in Linux, you can use the command "mkdosfs /dev/fd0").
 Copy patch.pl to the floppy disk.
 Remove the floppy and reboot using the Mandrake Linux 9.2
 CD1 to do a CD-ROM installation. During boot,
 press F1 at the splash screen, then place your floppy disk
 that contains patch.pl in the floppy drive. At the prompt,
 type "patch", then follow the installation as usual."

Now i have to carry a floppy with me. How inconvenient.