On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:34:18 -0400
David Walluck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Given this, I don't understand why the build would not fail due to
> missing headers if only kernel-headers is installed. How is it that
> the kernel-source headers automatically 'override' the kernel-headers
> if kernel-source is installed?
>
> In other words, kernel-headers file '/usr/include/[sys]/<header>.h'
> includes 'linux/<header>.h', but if kernel-source is not installed,
> then 'linux/<header>.h' does not exist, yet the build does not fail.

I agree it can be confusing and it even caused me to miss-speak.
Pkgs such as NVIDIA_kernel require you have installed kernel-source.rpm
but Not the kernel-headers.rpm.
If it were a normal pkg then the kernel-source.rpm would be
kernel-devel.rpm.
It contains the header and other files necessary for building pkg that
are kernel dependent.

If you want answers about the reasoning behind the the kernel-headers
pkg change you may have to ask the kernel or glibc people because I
can't tell you.

As far as the gcc version for compiling the NVIDIA_kernel I have had no
problem, and depending upon which kernel it was, have used 2.96, 3.0,
3.1, and 3.2.

    Charles

Old men are fond of giving good advice to console themselves for their
inability to set a bad example.
                -- La Rochefoucauld, "Maxims"
Charles A Edwards
[EMAIL PROTECTED]