On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 11:01, Luca Olivetti wrote:

> Well, I don't think that an "install only, no upgrade possible" policy
> is acceptable.

So far you're the only one that has presented "install only" as an
official policy.  My suggestion was to present a base case for
comparison against upgrades.  So I agree; your presentation is
unacceptable.

> An upgrade should work as well as a new install.

"Should" and "does" are two different things.

> Hopefully you're not right: it seems that urpmi is approaching apt in
> functionality, making operations like apt-get --dist-upgrade possible
> (though it didn't work for me when I tested debian).

"Approaching" implies that the actual destination has not been arrived
at yet.  Plus "possible" and "probable" are distinctions that need to be
made when comparing upgrade and install.  A clean install is needed when
you are evaluating an upgrade; not just for comparisons, but to isolate
problems.

> > I don't know of anybody that recommends an upgrade style distro
> > transition.  I think you should install 9.0 from scratch, if you haven't
> > already.
>
> I think that it was windows you had to reinstall from scratch from time
> to time to keep it working, not Linux.

Which has absolutely no relation to the facts with regard to Mandrake
upgrade.  Those of us that need a good clean working production machine
in the present time install fresh and migrate the data afterwards, if
you are on 8.2 or 9.0 or anything prior.  This might change in the
future but for right now that's the way to get consistent results.  It's
also the way to have something to compare an upgrade to if you are on
the cooker list and looking to troubleshoot problems.

--LX

--
Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.2