On Saturday 11 January 2003 08:23 pm, D F honored me with this communique:
> On January 11, 2003 10:17, Thomas Backlund wrote:
> > From: "Götz Waschk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > No, but you still can install from network or hd. But if this
> > > problem is easily solvable, it should be done.
> >
> > This is not really an option for modem users...
> >
> > How are you going to get the files to the hd, if not from cd:s ??
> > (since downloading over modem takes far to long ...)
> > I actually have done this once, before I got my DSL line,
> > but it took about 116 hours downloading time (1850MB at average
> > 4.5 kb/s) and that's not fun at all... belive me ...
> >
> > And if you consider the cost for having the telephone company
> > charging you on minute basis, it makes for about 88 € for the
> > whole package... here in Finland ...
> >
> > Then you figure that since 88 € is somewhat expensive, why not
> > buy CD:s ... but you can't do that if your system does not
> > support 700 Mb CD:s ... Ofcourse you could buy new hardware, but
> > that does mean more expences , ad so on...
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Just my thoughts...
> >
> > Thomas
>
> I have to agree, in principle, with the 640 MB CD as a  de   facto
> standard. One of Linux's strong points is that it can support a
> variety of hardware. How much extra does it take to repackage the
> thing onto 640 MB CDs? It's really trivial when you come right down
> to it. If minimising the number of disks for cutting-edge users is
> so attractive, why don't we offer DVD images in addition to 640 MB
> images?

I've never had any trouble reading 700MB CDs, with any drive, and in fact I
was not aware that this problem existed. However, I prefer the 640MB max
ISOs. Why? Because even with the new drives, rated at high write speeds
(12x+), I've had trouble with music CDs written at higher than 4x if the
length exceeds 640MB. This raises concerns about the reliability of data
written to the larger disks at higher speeds, at least for me.

So you can count me as a vote for the smaller ISOs.

Jay DeKing
USA

--
Drinking makes such fools of people, and people are such fools to begin
with, that it's compounding a felony.