On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 06:30, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> N Smethurst wrote:
>
> > too. However, I guess this would be politically incorrect so it will never
> > happen, despite the fact that the users want drivers that work.
>
> So you should look elsewhere but nvidia (In fact I'm so pissed off at
> the constant crashes with nvidia binary driver that I'll stay far away
> from nvidia products, pity that it seems that ATI is following the same
> trend).
> BTW: anyone has a suggestion for a good (and possibly cheap) graphic
> card, that run out of the box with open source (ie. peer reviewed)
> drivers and has enough horsepower to play tuxracer?

The Voodoo3 may be old, but it has great Linux support (well, as good as
any 3d card, which is really to say crappy, but at least the support is
in XF86 & the kernel instead of a binary mystery package) still has
competitive frame rates, and is available for about $20 off of ebay.

Voodoo3s play all GL and SDL games very nicely, Quake and all its
variants are fine, Descent3 is great. However, some game authors will
write their games specifically for a certain video card. They might say
that it's to "utilize many super-nifty whiz-bang features of the card
that aren't exposed through OpenGL", I might say it's to repay
investments and prototype boards from the video card manufacturer, but
the end result is that 3dfx doesn't apply in that game of kickback any
more. So, if you want to run Unreal Tournament on Linux, you must
purchase an NVidia card and use whatever drivers it requires.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...