Hi Christopher,

It is of the best interest of the community to discontinue the usage of
"word". The term is not only very shaky in its foundation (if any), but it
can also effect disparity in performance in computational processing and
robustness when human evaluation is involved.
Despite the term has been casually adopted by many in the past, like many
un-PC terms that may have an inappropriate undertone, it needs to be
discouraged and abandoned.
Last but not least, I noticed that you are located in Canada, in the event
that you were to work with any indigenous communities, one MUST be advised
to be careful with the usage of such term --- you could be imposing your
own (EN- / FR- / dominant language-centric) view onto another
individual/community. There is an element of cultural and
linguistic hegemony with the usage of such term (including and not limited
to making applications with it).
Please also consult recent work in this area:
https://openreview.net/forum?id=-llS6TiOew.

Feel free to get in touch if you should have any questions.

Best,
Ada