(I just expounded on a point as a twitter reply today re the granularity of
one's thinking/processing. Pls feel free to read that also.)

One can think of it in a less binary manner --- not "good" vs "bad", not
"words" then "sentences", but to think of an utterance/sequence with all
the finer connections in between... That is the beauty of language --- from
a "philological" point of view.

I am not sure, though, if you were speaking from a scientific perspective,
because I have a paper to back my argument in that regard.