On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 12:14 AM Flor, Michael <mf...@ets.org> wrote:

>  The notion of 'word' has difficulties in linguistics.
> But not enough for abandoning it.
>
> Except we don't need it at all --- for both human or machine processing.

> The argument from the paper "Fairness in Representation for Multilingual
> NLP"
> is not convincing at all.

Even if the early findings are correct for transformers ,
> applicability to human language faculty is not yet supported.
>
> Right, this paper version has not yet addressed the whole story, which I
have yet to continue with. But one can get the gist from conditional
probability, context, and finer granularity.

> On the other hand, it is not even needed.
> Developmental linguists have noted long ago that babies acquire all
> natural languages at approximately the same rate (under some 'standard
> conditions'), despite vast morphological and other differences between
> languages.
> Thus, in some sense, all natural human languages are already deemed
> 'equal' vis-a-vis acquisition complexity.
>
> Well, talk to the NLP crowd or the ones who expect LM/MT results from
different languages should have different performances, even if/when all
else were equal. (I remember how hard and how many rounds I had to work for
my rebuttals....)

> For language learning later in life,
> if one's native language is morphologically rich, learning (some types of)
> morphologically rich languages (as an adult) is a bit easier than learning
> a language that is very different, etc.
>
> That's the thing about this paper --- my personal take with L_n learning
is that, no, it's actually also just a length and vocabulary thing wrt
whatever one is used to (e.g. with L1), the environment/support available,
and +/- personal propensity towards new lang.

> Complexity of words in a language for non-native speakers/learners is
> actually a big issue and a field of research in EFL (and now in NLP as
> well).
>
> See above.

> Finally,
> word complexity is often defined within the same language  (e.g.
> able-ability, function-dysfunctional),
> and so a notion of cross-linguistic hegemony or malice is not even
> applicable here.
>
> What would it take for me to convince you that such "complexity" really
boils down to just length and vocab (think the examples you gave, viewed
from, say, a character perspective)?
E.g. is 'Xjfewijpiweoheymqaweopaf'h' more or less complex than
'multiple-dysfunction-prone' to you?