Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:

> Zoe M. Gillenwater wrote:
>
>> I won't get into what my goals are in general -- that's irrelevant --
>>  but I will say that I agree completely with Al's point: you
>> completely defeat the purpose of using ems for widths if #2 is one of
>>  your goals. Again, there's nothing wrong with goal #2, but it has
>> nothing to do with ems.
>

> I think you have missed the original question somehow. Since that
> question was about using ems for dimensioning, then that's what

I agree, which is why your suggestions to use percentages to keep the
design within the horizontal constraints of the window were off-base,
not mine.  As I have explained, this goal of "no horizontal scrollbars"
is incompatible with the goal of em-based layouts (preserving
proportions for optimal readability).

> However, a well-working "catch all" solution should also be presented,
> since there is one. I don't think that has gotten through yet.

How does your solution "catch all"?  It does not meet goal #3 that I
stated in my last email, which is to preserve proportions.  There is not
a catch all, as there never is in web design.  You choose your goals,
and by doing so, reject other goals.

> Maybe better read up on how ems can be used, while avoiding horizontal
> scroll-bars and off-screen content...
> <http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200504/fixed_or_fluid_width_elastic/>
>
> ...and you can even test its proportional qualities if you have wide
> enough screens.

I'm very familiar with using ems for layout.  I've used them myself in a
couple different sites and written articles about their use for
Community MX.  However, I disagree with yourself and Roger of 456 Berea
Street that they should be combined with percentages to prevent
horizontal scrollbars.  Doing such completely defeats their purpose, as
Al and I have tried to explain.

Zoe

--
Zoe M. Gillenwater