From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 > No. If I had the misfortune to live in a country that had
> an electorate that wanted its
> government to pass laws such as those you describe, I would
> leave that country. I certainly wouldnt want to be a law
> enforcement officer in it. Any government that had passed
> laws like that would hardly be democratically elected, would
> they?

Wouldn't they? I won't go down the obvious route as we've
been there before and people don't seem to like it.

>Now you are going to say that the '97 act is equally
> wrong.

It is equally wrong. It was specifically designed to remove
lawfully aquired property and rights from a minority group
who had not been convicted of any offence. Moreover it
was done for no other reason than political expediency
and has not produced any measurable benefit to the
Contry or the individual. Equally wrong, although granted,
with less dire end rusults than the examples I gave.

> The trouble with a democracy is that for every shooter who
> thinks the law is wrong, you would be able to find another
> that thinks it is right, and probably an equal number who
> couldn't care less.
>
> The shooters say we should listen to them. The antis say
> 'No, you must listen to us'. The don't knows say 'I don't
> care, just do your job'. Who has the more valid opinion?
> Who do we listen to?

The people who run our democracy owe it to those who
elect them to listen to the people who have their
arguments based in reason, facts and logic. So do the
police if they are voicing their opinions on proposed
legislation, which they did in '97. They should not be
listening to people who simply rant their heads off and
predict world cataclism (spelling?) if you and me are
allowed to own a pistol.

> No, I dont agree with the law in many areas. I disagree
> with the Child Suport Act, the provisions of which have
> resulted in many more suicides and destitute familys than
> the '97 firearms amendment act has. I disagree with
> the tax on petrol. I disagree with the taxation levels
> imposed on me as a working man. I disagree with lots of
> things but I put would never ever advocate anyone breaking
> the law for any reason. If you hate this country
> and its police so much, leave it.

Don't try and attribute things to me which I haven't said. I
did *not* say I hated this country and I certainly didn't
say I hated the police. I have no objection to 90% of what
the police do but I do not think they should be dealing
with Firearms licensing. I do not try to hide the fact that I
don't like the people who run this country however.

Jonathan Laws

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]