On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Robert Bradshaw
<rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan...@behnel.de> wrote:
>> Stefan Behnel, 16.11.2010 12:46:
>>> when I try to hg push to cython-devel, I keep getting this:
>>>
>>> """
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>> SyntaxError: Error expanding 'sessionvars%urlparameter'
>>> """
>>>
>>> Trac seems to be broken, too. Has anything changed on the Cython VM since
>>> yesterday that could trigger this?
>>
>> hg is back to normal since William cleaned up the disk space. trac is still
>> down, it seems.
>>
>> Robert, since you set up most of the infrastructure (IIRC), could you take
>> an attempt at the migration to boxen?
>
> So, I've been thinking about this, and one of the reasons we're using
> the current setup is that it requires very little administration from
> me, as I am essentially leaching of the sagemath.org infrastructure.
> Moving things to boxen would be a bit more administration on our part,
> but still not too bad, and I know William is a happy enough Cython
> user to be fine with continuing to host us :). However, I'm wondering
> if this would be a ripe occasion to making the leap to something like
> http://code.google.com. Currently, our infrastructure consists of
>
> 1. The web site
> 2. Trac
> 3. Wiki
> 4. Repositories
> 5. Buildbot
> 6. Mailing lists
>
> Currently we're hosting 1-5, and 6 is being hosted by codespeak.net
> (for cython-dev) and google (for cython-users). I think it may be
> worth considering moving 2-4 elsewhere, as there is little loss and
> they are the higher-maintenance (from an administrative point of view)
> items, and features such as code review tools would be nice to have as
> well. Trying to use launchpad was painful, so this decision shouldn't
> be taken lightly, but I think we can do better. Of course
> code.google.com isn't the only option, but even trying to be unbiased
> about it I think it's a very good option, and
> http://www.dataliberation.org/google/code-project-hosting factors into
> it as well.
>
> In terms of the website itself, I think we should keep hosting that
> (for maximum flexibility, and it's easy to administer), and there
> isn't much of an option for 5 (though steps should be taken to reduce
> its load).

Robert has asked me to reply what I think about google code and
github, since sympy has used google code since the beginning, e.g.
last couple years, so I wrote this blog post about comparing Google
Code and GitHub:

http://ondrejcertik.blogspot.com/2010/11/google-code-vs-github-for-hosting.html

Ondrej