On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<da...@student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:
>>> Yep, you're right, they're political restrictions, and "geographic
>>> restrictions" was a euphemism. I'm a huge believer in open source, but
>>> personally, these political restrictions don't bother me at all.
>>> However, you and Stefan had already both chimed in saying they did
>>> bother you, so I'm very happy to pick another hosting option with no
>>> argument, which is what I think I said above. I generally loathe
>>> political debate, and I think cython-dev is a wildly inappropriate
>>> place for it.
>>>
>> If we see a powerful country trying to exclude less powerful countries
>> from what we believe to be valid discourse, then, to say and do
>> nothing is an act of passive agreement that not all of us can accept.
>>
>> We state our principles, and we try to follow them; when we agree, we
>> do not have to discuss them.  The principles under which we operate
>> are one of the great strengths of the open-source idea and the energy
>> that we give to our projects.
>>

> Others have said what really needs to be said, but I'd really like to
> make a point that it is worth bearing in mind that each person always
> has an individual set of reasons for contributing his or her time to
> open source development.
>
> Some do it because of politics or principles about freedom. Some just
> wants to learn. Some just wants a challenge. Some just wants to improve
> the tool to do research more efficiently, or to make money faster.
>
> Cython is not even under the GPL but Apache, so there's an invitation to
> join for pretty much whatever reason. We can't really assume anything
> about any of the political views of the authors just by them being
> Cython contributors alone.

Oh dear - I'm sorry, I could not resist the temptation to reply.

There's a difference between politics and principles.  I don't like
politics very much, but I care a lot about principles, and my
experience has been that the same is true of many open source coders.
 It's a founding principle of open source that we (I mean, open source
developers) do not discriminate against persons or groups [1].   I
feel strongly about that, and I hope that y'all do to.

I'm not claiming any right to have a say, other than the right of any
person to appeal to the basic principles of open source.

See you,

Matthew