On Thursday 21 January 2010 06:34:01 am Jeff Johnson wrote:
> John wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 January 2010 05:52:58 pm Jeff Johnson wrote:
> >> I have heard some folks saying that they code their own forms.  After
> >> working with the class designer I feel that it is even better than VFP.
> >>   I can put together a great form in a short period of time and the
> >> property sheet, object view, code editor are better than VFP by a long
> >> shot (in my opinion of course - I've only been working with FoxPro since
> >> 91).  The sizers make for a very professional form, too.  I would like
> >> to know why some of you code your own forms by hand.
> >>
> >> Just a question.
> >>
> >> TIA
> >
> > Today there is not much of a reason to hand code a form.  That said, I
> > still hand code my forms.  I find that it offers flexibility that the
> > ClassDesigner does not.
> >
> > Johnf
>
> John:  Can you give me some examples of the flexibility you mentioned?

Sure, I find myself using many custom controls and needing custom layouts.
And then there are the client "change orders" - I find it difficult to add
controls and move others around using ClassDesigner.   Also I find it does
not take very long to hand code forms.  Believe me when I say I never would
have guessed I would be hand coding forms after using the VFP designer for
the last 10 years.  I also don't like hand editing XML - which is what
ClassDesigner and ReportDesigner produce.

That said, I use ClassDesigner to create my maintenance forms.  I also use
ClassDesigner to write all my bizobjs.  ClassDesigner allows you to create
the bizobj class code when you "add controls from data environment".  I then
use the bizobj ClassDesigner produces (real python/Dabo code and not XML) on
my forms.

Johnf