OK: attached is a text document containing what I think are 49 correctly-framed declarations of equivalence and sub-property-ness for various birth and death date and place properties.

Are the equivalences the most helpful way round? (The "standard" property is on the right of the expression.) If not, it's trivial to change the XSLT to swop them round.

More importantly, given Kingsley's comments, can we now do anything useful with these statements? The implication is that subPropertyOf _could_ be supported, but hasn't yet, and the doc he refers to makes no mention at all of owl:equivalentProperty (only owl:sameAs, which relates to classes not properties).

Richard (Light)

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard Cyganiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

There are part/whole type relationships between some of them, e.g.

 monthofbirth and dateofbirth
 cityofbirth and placeofbirth

Can this type of relationship between properties be [usefully]
expressed?

The first one not. In the second case, you can say:

:cityofbirth rdfs:subPropertyOf :placeofbirth .

Formally, this states: "If someone's :cityofbirth is X, then their :placeofbirth if also X", which makes sense. Note that it doesn't necessarily work the other way round. If it worked either way, then the properties would be equivalent.

Final question (for now): there are for example seven variants on
"birthDate". Do I need six owl:equivalentProperty statements or 21?

A good question. In terms of formal semantics, six are enough, and the others are implied by the OWL semantics. An OWL reasoner would would take care of that automatically. But for SPARQL queries against the DBpedia endpoint, which doesn't have reasoning built-in, it would make things simpler if we had all the equivalences.

I propose to leave it at six for now, but would really like to hear what others think about this question.
--
Richard Light
XML/XSLT and Museum Information Consultancy