Richard Light wrote:

> OK: attached is a text document containing what I think are 49
> correctly-framed declarations of equivalence and sub-property-ness for
> various birth and death date and place properties.
>
> Are the equivalences the most helpful way round?  (The "standard"
> property is on the right of the expression.)  If not, it's trivial to
> change the XSLT to swop them round.
>
> More importantly, given Kingsley's comments, can we now do anything
> useful with these statements?  The implication is that subPropertyOf
> _could_ be supported, but hasn't yet, and the doc he refers to makes
> no mention at all of owl:equivalentProperty (only owl:sameAs, which
> relates to classes not properties).
>
> Richard (Light)
Richard,

We can inference over rules for classes and subclasses.

I'll look at what you've sent when I have a moment. If you've sent
triples then we can create rules etc..  If all is done right we might
even make a nice tutorial out of this whole thing.

Kingsley

> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard
> Cyganiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>
>>> There are part/whole type relationships between some of them, e.g.
>>>
>>>  monthofbirth and dateofbirth
>>>  cityofbirth and placeofbirth
>>>
>>> Can this type of relationship between properties be [usefully]
>>> expressed?
>>
>> The first one not. In the second case, you can say:
>>
>> :cityofbirth rdfs:subPropertyOf :placeofbirth .
>>
>> Formally, this states: "If someone's :cityofbirth is X, then  their
>> :placeofbirth if also X", which makes sense. Note that it  doesn't
>> necessarily work the other way round. If it worked either way,  then
>> the properties would be equivalent.
>>
>>> Final question (for now): there are for example seven variants on
>>> "birthDate". Do I need six owl:equivalentProperty statements or 21?
>>
>> A good question. In terms of formal semantics, six are enough, and
>> the others are implied by the OWL semantics. An OWL reasoner would
>> would take care of that automatically. But for SPARQL queries against
>> the DBpedia endpoint, which doesn't have reasoning built-in, it would
>> make things simpler if we had all the equivalences.
>>
>> I propose to leave it at six for now, but would really like to hear
>> what others think about this question.

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen       Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
President & CEO