Calm down, people...

A few more clarifications:

1) This feature is not enabled by default. It only gets triggered if a
frontend tool makes use of it, and will not be activated automatically. So,
you will only see it when you use GNOME with GNOME-Software or any other
tool which triggers the functionality. Also, if it triggers the offline
update, you will have chosen to do that by clicking the "Reboot and
Restart" button.

2) I tried to reproduce the behavior of getting offline-updates by only
installing PackageKit in a clean Sid VM. Everything was behaving as
expected, no offline-upgrade was triggered without a frontend tool
requesting it. So, there is something really strange happening on your
system to trigger this - more feedback would be welcome. It could be that
GNOME-Software was installed, has triggered the upgrade once and the file
triggering the upgrade has just not been removed, so the machine will
endlessly try to upgrade. Although, this should actually never happen, and
I would be very suprised if it does.

3) If you want to complain, complain at GNOME for making this the default
behavior for updating software. The lower layers are really not to blame
here for executing a request from other tools.

4) The offline-uĆ¼grade failing is definitively a bug, but:

> No, I think it's the GCC 5 and the corresponding ABI update that causes
> this. aptitude proposed to remove 64 packages yesterday...

Since PK is not doing anything special and is just calling Apt to do
things, any removal done by it is highly likely related to our GCC
transition taking place. So at time, it's a good idea to perform updates
manually.
To not trigger offline-upgrades, ensure that the file "/system-update" does
not exist. (this file will only be created when some other tool triggers
offline-upgrades).

Cheers,
    Matthias