Michael Meskes <mich...@fam-meskes.de> writes:

>> PackageKit uses the very same resolver as apt itself does...  A log
>> file of what actually happened would be very helpful here, to determine
>> the problem causing the package removal.

> Just try an update on a recently updated (Sunday) sid system and you'll
> see see the conflicts.

I'm unclear as to what you have installed that triggers this, because I've
been using systemd and sid for eons and have never encountered this
behavior.  (That also makes me pretty sure, pace Steve, that this is not
something *systemd* as systemd is actually doing, but some other
component.)

Is it GNOME Software that you also have installed, per the other message
on this thread?

Looking at systemd-system-update-generator, it looks like this is a purely
optional feature that is only triggered if you use a system upgrade method
that uses the /var/lib/system-update staging area.  So I think blaming
this on systemd is a little odd.  I certainly agree that it's a rather
serious bug for this to suddenly start happening without your knowledge,
particularly when it makes some decidedly bad dist-upgrade choices, but I
think the fault here lies with whatever software staged this upgrade.  Not
with systemd for just doing what it was told by another package.

I like having the *choice* of being able to either use apt and upgrade
directly, or stage an upgrade and have it happen on reboot.  It seems like
systemd is providing that choice and supporting both options, which is
great.  The question, in my mind, is why you're getting surprised with
something using the method that you don't prefer.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>