> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 01:26:13PM +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> > 1) This feature is not enabled by default. It only gets triggered if a
> > frontend tool makes use of it, and will not be activated automatically.
> So,
> > you will only see it when you use GNOME with GNOME-Software or any other
> > tool which triggers the functionality. Also, if it triggers the offline
>
> And if whatever GNOME software that is triggers the feature by default it
> is
> enabled. Nobody is trying to blame any single package AFAICT, we're trying
> find out which one enables a (anti-)feature by default that it shouldn't.

According to
http://codesearch.debian.net/results/org.freedesktop.packagekit.trigger-offline-update%20-package%3Apackagekit%20-package%3Aaptdaemon/page_0
, the only tools triggering this are GNOME-Software and GNOME-Shell. For GS
we have #787485 <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=787485>
(which complains about always needing to restart for updating only, not
about this being triggered).

> > update, you will have chosen to do that by clicking the "Reboot and
> > Restart" button.
>
> Eh? This neither makes sense nor is it true. A "Reboot and Restart" button
> (if such a thing existed, could this be a typo?) would not give you any
> hint
> whatsoever that the reboot process will perform updates. And besides, I
> completely switched off my system and started it again later, when that
> dreaded updated kicked in.

Jup, sorry, that was a typo. It's called something like "Restart & Install
updates"

> > 2) I tried to reproduce the behavior of getting offline-updates by only
> > installing PackageKit in a clean Sid VM. Everything was behaving as
> > expected, no offline-upgrade was triggered without a frontend tool
> > requesting it. So, there is something really strange happening on your
> > system to trigger this - more feedback would be welcome. It could be that
> > GNOME-Software was installed, has triggered the upgrade once and the file
> > triggering the upgrade has just not been removed, so the machine will
> > endlessly try to upgrade. Although, this should actually never happen,
> and
> > I would be very suprised if it does.
>
> No, the file has not been there. I've had the problem before and checked
> for
> it after the first incident.

Strange - then the install-updates mode should not have been entered in the
first place.

> [...]
> > 4) The offline-uĆ¼grade failing is definitively a bug, but:

> > > No, I think it's the GCC 5 and the corresponding ABI update that causes
> > > this. aptitude proposed to remove 64 packages yesterday...
> > >

> > Since PK is not doing anything special and is just calling Apt to do
> > things, any removal done by it is highly likely related to our GCC
> > transition taking place. So at time, it's a good idea to perform updates
> > manually.
>
> Ha ha ha. I wouldn't have started this thread if I had wanted my system to
> perform updates automatically. Statements like this are not exactly
> helping.
>
> > To not trigger offline-upgrades, ensure that the file "/system-update"
> does
> > not exist. (this file will only be created when some other tool triggers
> > offline-upgrades).
>
> Are you seriously suggesting I should check for that file *every* time I
> reboot?

Nope, but checking if it appears while you don't want to execute
offline-updates would help, because then we would be certain that something
is triggering the update.

Cheers,
    Matthias