On 19/02/2023 23:35, Christoph Brinkhaus wrote:
Am Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 05:21:47PM +0100 schrieb Geert Stappers:
Having installed package openvswitch-switch and doing `ip route` I do get
   169.254.0.0/16 dev ovs-system scope link src 169.254.201.7 metric 1004

Please have a look at https://wiki.debian.org/Avahi.

I hope, somebody with more knowledge of related technology will correct me.

I find it confusing that the wiki page neither mentions avahi-autoipd nor has a link explaining interaction of avahi and avahi-autoipd.

My impression is that the purpose if Avahi is discovery of services in multicast network segment and publishing services available on the host where avahi daemon is running to make them available for other computers. Its scope is .local host names. IP address may be received from centralized DHCP server.

169.254.x.y addresses are link local (IPv4LL) and usually appears when IP address is not configured and an attempt to get it through DHCP fails. Such addresses may be configured by avahi-autoipd, unsure concerning systemd(-networkd?).

So to avoid 169.254.x.y addresses, it necessary to disable link local addressed (avahi-autoipd). My guess is that Avahi as service discovery tool may still work when usual (static or DHCP) IP address is configured.

Perhaps to get rid of 169.254.x.y addresses, it is enough to properly configure network interface, either to ensure that DHCP server is available or to assign a static address. After that you may forget about existence of avahi-autoipd.