On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 1:43 PM David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue 21 Feb 2023 at 13:48:58 (-0500), Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 1:26 PM Christoph Brinkhaus
> > <c.brinkh...@t-online.de> wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > This is the systemd-networkd configuration:
> > >
> > > [Match]
> > > Name=w*
> > >
> > > [Network]
> > > DHCP=no
> > > Address=192.168.0.62/24
> > > Gateway=192.168.0.32
> > > DNS=127.0.0.1
> > >
> > > I have unbound as a DNS listening at localhost. But with
> > > DNS=192.168.0.32 the behaviour has been similar.
> > >
> > > I have not yet checked the address assignment using systemd-networkd.
> > > For doing so I have to reinstall some packages.
> >
> > I don't know what the Match section does. I am suspicious of it.
>
> Oh, Match is great. For a typical, simple PC or laptop, you no longer
> have to worry about whether your wifi is called wlan0 (kernel, and
> iwd), wlo0, wlp365s7 (onboard/slot/path), or wlxf1dd1efadd1e (USB),
> it'll get matched nonetheless. Ditto for e* and ethernet.

Thanks David.

Maybe the 'w' is not matching anything.

I thought eth0 and wlan0 went the way of the dinosaurs. I thought with
Consistent Network Device Names and biosdevname, the name will begin
with a 'p' or 'em', not a 'w', and based on the slot number. Also see
https://linux.dell.com/files/whitepapers/consistent_network_device_naming_in_linux.pdf.

Jeff