On 1/14/24 11:13, David Wright wrote:
On Sun 14 Jan 2024 at 01:57:59 (-0800), David Christensen wrote:
On 1/12/24 18:17, gene heskett wrote:
On 1/12/24 15:58, David Christensen wrote:

Searching for the Thunderbird message filter configuration
files on my computer:

2024-01-12 12:31:57 dpchrist@taz ~
$ find .thunderbird/dpchrist -iname '*filter*'
.thunderbird/dpchrist/Mail/Local Folders/msgFilterRules.dat
.thunderbird/dpchrist/ImapMail/november.he-1.net/msgFilterRules.dat
.thunderbird/dpchrist/ImapMail/november.he.net/msgFilterRules.dat

Did you choose those (appropriate-looking) names?

that was the other David example, not mine.
I have no such directory structure where subbing my id for
dpchrist might hide:
gene@coyote:~/.thunderbird$ ls
'Crash Reports'   f37v8icg.default-default   installs.ini
'Pending Pings'   profiles.ini   twpgj5qd.default

Use find(1) instead of ls(1):

$ find . -xdev -iname '*filter*'

Random website:

   Create Filter Rules in Mozilla Thunderbird

   Let’s go over the steps you need to follow to create Thunderbird rules that
move messages from a specific sender to a folder:
Most of the "filters" I use (and there are well over a 100 of them) are based on the src of the mailing list they go into, and were first made by using a list mail as the filter key, move to such and such local directory. As to where those filters are stored, I have not found them.

     Launch Mozilla Thunderbird.
     Open the Tools menu and choose Message Filters.
     Click New to create a new filter.
     Give the filter a suitable name.

… or an unsuitable one?

However, I do have in my home dir, an mbox file dated the 7th:
Which may result in a clue about my raid10, its msgs from SMARTCTL
running as root to me I've never rx'd containing warnings about
/dev/sde which is part of that raid10 that is the systems /home
directory.
So I'll take a break here and go investigate that.

It does lead to another question, how do I incorporate that into
tbird so I get important status msgs from root?.

Add the filename to your list of incoming mailboxes. That should
notify you whenever something comes in to any of them.

How ever t-bird has so many hot keys that pop up some config page
as I'm typing what looks like a legit sentence that I may have
commanded something by continuing to type after the popup shows up
as it steals the focus when it does. I wish there was some way to
disable that crap until I actually want to do some config stuff.

Edit -> Settings does not seem to offer a way to turn off hot keys
(?). All I can suggest is that you slow down and concentrate on your
fingers.

It's difficult to prevent accidentally executing commands, but
you can prevent their altering your configuration by making
the latter readonly. Myself, I use that trick with mc, so that
it always starts in the same state, and any configuration changes
I do make (sorting, backup/hidden file visibility, etc) are
temporary and local, only lasting till I quit that instance.

Cheers,
David.

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.