On Sun 14 Jan 2024 at 01:57:59 (-0800), David Christensen wrote:
> On 1/12/24 18:17, gene heskett wrote:
> > On 1/12/24 15:58, David Christensen wrote:

> > > Searching for the Thunderbird message filter configuration
> > > files on my computer:
> > >
> > > 2024-01-12 12:31:57 dpchrist@taz ~
> > > $ find .thunderbird/dpchrist -iname '*filter*'
> > > .thunderbird/dpchrist/Mail/Local Folders/msgFilterRules.dat
> > > .thunderbird/dpchrist/ImapMail/november.he-1.net/msgFilterRules.dat
> > > .thunderbird/dpchrist/ImapMail/november.he.net/msgFilterRules.dat

Did you choose those (appropriate-looking) names?

> > I have no such directory structure where subbing my id for
> > dpchrist might hide:
> > gene@coyote:~/.thunderbird$ ls
> > 'Crash Reports'   f37v8icg.default-default   installs.ini
> > 'Pending Pings'   profiles.ini   twpgj5qd.default
>
> Use find(1) instead of ls(1):
>
> $ find . -xdev -iname '*filter*'

Random website:

  Create Filter Rules in Mozilla Thunderbird

  Let’s go over the steps you need to follow to create Thunderbird rules that
move messages from a specific sender to a folder:

    Launch Mozilla Thunderbird.
    Open the Tools menu and choose Message Filters.
    Click New to create a new filter.
    Give the filter a suitable name.

… or an unsuitable one?

> > However, I do have in my home dir, an mbox file dated the 7th:
> > Which may result in a clue about my raid10, its msgs from SMARTCTL
> > running as root to me I've never rx'd containing warnings about
> > /dev/sde which is part of that raid10 that is the systems /home
> > directory.
> > So I'll take a break here and go investigate that.
> >
> > It does lead to another question, how do I incorporate that into
> > tbird so I get important status msgs from root?.

Add the filename to your list of incoming mailboxes. That should
notify you whenever something comes in to any of them.

> > How ever t-bird has so many hot keys that pop up some config page
> > as I'm typing what looks like a legit sentence that I may have
> > commanded something by continuing to type after the popup shows up
> > as it steals the focus when it does. I wish there was some way to
> > disable that crap until I actually want to do some config stuff.
>
> Edit -> Settings does not seem to offer a way to turn off hot keys
> (?). All I can suggest is that you slow down and concentrate on your
> fingers.

It's difficult to prevent accidentally executing commands, but
you can prevent their altering your configuration by making
the latter readonly. Myself, I use that trick with mc, so that
it always starts in the same state, and any configuration changes
I do make (sorting, backup/hidden file visibility, etc) are
temporary and local, only lasting till I quit that instance.

Cheers,
David.