> In one sense, isn't this what ORBZ was doing?  Port Scanning everyone,
> and sending in unsolicited emails because they want to test other
people's
> systems without them asking for permission to do so?

ORBZ was not "Port Scanning"  ORBZ was only after being notified of an
open relay seeing for them selves if in fact the relay was open.  Yes, I
guess if you had an extremely fundamental view on unauthorized network
use, ORBZ was in the wrong. But what ORBZ was doing was no different
than  what the police do every day, baiting suspects to commit crimes so
that evidence could be gathered, and the criminals could be prosecuted.

> But can you see the irony in it?  SPAM is bad because it uses the
recipient ISP's resources
> without his/her permission for their own purposes...  ORBZ digs into
the ISP's
> (or anyone's) resources without his/her permission for their own
purposes...

ORBZ may use the end-users resources to a slight degree, but not nearly
as many resources as many spammers do.  The data that ORBZ sends in the
process of testing an SMTP server is extremely negligible when compared
to the data transfer necessary to transport Spam/UCE/UBE.

-Corey Travioli

site at http://www.declude.com .