At 11:34 PM 3/21/2002, you wrote:
> > In one sense, isn't this what ORBZ was doing?  Port Scanning everyone,
> > and sending in unsolicited emails because they want to test other
>people's
> > systems without them asking for permission to do so?
>
>ORBZ was not "Port Scanning"  ORBZ was only after being notified of an
>open relay seeing for them selves if in fact the relay was open.

OK - my bad !

>Yes, I guess if you had an extremely fundamental view on unauthorized network
>use, ORBZ was in the wrong. But what ORBZ was doing was no different
>than  what the police do every day, baiting suspects to commit crimes so
>that evidence could be gathered, and the criminals could be prosecuted.

Actually, they generally do not do that - that is called "entrapment" and
generally
does not happen, except on TV.  But any way, and I'm not saying that ORBZ
is, but
if that were the case, then ORBZ would be a "vigilante", no?

> > But can you see the irony in it?  SPAM is bad because it uses the
>recipient ISP's resources without his/her permission for their own
>purposes...  ORBZ digs into
>the ISP's (or anyone's) resources without his/her permission for their own
>purposes...
>
>ORBZ may use the end-users resources to a slight degree, but not nearly
>as many resources as many spammers do.  The data that ORBZ sends in the
>process of testing an SMTP server is extremely negligible when compared
>to the data transfer necessary to transport Spam/UCE/UBE.

True - they used less resources than spam on the whole does.
Gotta wonder how their usage compares to a single spammer (as opposed to
all spam out there).

I was just pointing out the irony of it.... long day, low on caffeine...
Believe me - I'm not endorsing the spam!

And back to my first post - the Denial of Service point - and the point someone
else made about what is "fair game" and what would be a dictionary blast....

I would also liken a dictionary blast to a DOS attack.  If a spammer has 20
known
email addresses to send to, at least he is sending to those 20 that he
believes exists.

On the other hand, a spammer that sends a dictionary attack to 10,000
addresses
@some-domain.com just trying to see what sticks, knows most are invalid,
knows he is
overwhelming the server with things that are undeliverable and does it
anyway...

... I think that would also constitute a Denial of Service attack, no?

- Chris

site at http://www.declude.com .