On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 7:12 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbar...@mit.edu> wrote:

> So if right now we land a patch that breaks addons, and a nightly user
> updates, they get a broken browser and have to try to figure out whether
> it's because we broken an addon (and this may not be the first thing they
> think of) or because we introduced a bug that they should report.

I switched from Nightly to Release on my main work machine after
yesterday's Nightly update broke both Tree Style Tab and ChatZilla. I heard
that Tree Style Tab was fixed again shortly afterward.

I also heard that both of these may have been caused by disabling e10s
shims, or something like that, but I don't know if it's correct.

> So I strongly feel that to avoid wasting the time and effort of our
> nightly users we should not start landing addon-breaking changes (or at
> least ones that might cause exceptions in addons that break various browser
> functionality) until after we have disabled addons.

Is there going to be a clear point in time when legacy extensions stop
working in Nightly? I have the impression it'll be more of a slow
degradation.

Nick