On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Peter Bowen <pzbo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Rob Stradling <rob.stradl...@comodo.com>
> wrote:
> > Revocation of a "parent intermediate" does not exempt "child
> intermediates"
> > from the disclosure requirement, AFAICT.  So I think the KBC Group CAs do
> > need to be disclosed to Salesforce.
>
> If all paths from a trusted root to a given intermediate are revoked
> or expired, then I don't think it "directly or transitively chain[s]
> to a certificate included in Mozilla’s CA Certificate Program".  It
> would be no different than a private CA which isn't part of the WebPKI
> graph.

Expired makes sense. Revoked only makes sense if the certificates are
revoked in practice. My understanding right now is that Chrome and Firefox
only enforce revocations for intermediates if the revocation is distributed
through CRLset or OneCRL, respectively.

I don't know what Apple's or Microsoft's processes are, and I don't think
that OneCRL alone would be sufficient to say that a certificate has been
practically revoked in the web PI.

Since this is being done in a comprehensive way, where we have some level
of assurance that this is meaningfully closing off a category of weakness
in the web PKI, perhaps we could get commitments from some or all of the
major browsers to ensure that all undisclosed revoked intermediates are
distributed through channels that make them actionable. Without something
like that, I'm not sure any risk has been mitigated by revocation alone.

-- Eric

konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>