On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Kurt Roeckx <k...@roeckx.be> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 02:25:37PM -0700, Peter Bowen wrote:
> > I think there are two things getting conflated here:
> >
> > 1) Disclosure of revoked unexpired CA certificates signed by a trusted CA
> >
> > 2) Disclosure of CA certificates signed by CAs that are the subject of #1
> >
> > Imagine the following heirarchy:
> >
> > Univercert Root CA (in trust store)  --(CA Cert A)--> Aperture Science
> > Corporate Root --(CA Cert B)--> Aperture Science Server CA --(End
> > Entity Cert)--> www.aperature.xa
> >
> > If CA Cert A is revoked, it goes in OneCRL.  What about CA Cert B?
> > Does it need to be disclosed?
>
> It's unclear to me what your example is, so I think what you meant
> to say is that there are 4 certs in your case, each signing the
> next one:
> - Univercert Root CA (in trust store)
> - Aperture Science (CA Cert A)
> - Aperture Science Server CA (CA Cert B)
> - www.aperature.xa (End Entity Cert)
>
> Before CA Cert A is revoked, CA Cert B needed to be disclosed. I
> have no idea what the requirements currently list, but since there
> no longer is a trust path from a root in trust store to CA Cert B
> and it seems to me that we don't care that it's disclosed or not.

Except that there *is* a trust path from a root in the trust store to CA
Cert B, in practice. CA Cert A's revocation is completely meaningless if
clients don't enforce that certificate's revocation.

Peter's correctly pointing out a major issue, which is that all of these
undisclosed intermediates may have themselves generated other
intermediates, and they could be quite numerous. I'm not recommending a
particular policy for dealing with them. I am saying that from a policy
perspective, you have to treat revoked intermediates as entirely unrevoked,
for at least Chrome and Firefox, without a commitment by those browsers to
distribute the revocation data through their special channels.

-- Eric

--
konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>