On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 11:55 AM Wayne Thayer <wtha...@mozilla.com> wrote:

This line of thinking seems to conflate a few different issues.

That is true.  I apologize for that, but also feel that some of these
different issues and how they'd play out in relation with this current
matter and ultimately with the inclusion request need to be discussed.

> There are roughly 195 nations in existence today. I would guess that less
> than half have a domestic, publicly-trusted CA. I would agree that we have
> a big problem if websites in any jurisdiction can't obtain trusted
> certificates. The Mozilla manifesto [1] states "We are committed to an
> internet that includes all the peoples of the earth" and "The internet is a
> global public resource that must remain open and accessible". However, I
> don't think that minting 100 new CAs is the best, or even a good way to
> solve the problem.

Probably not a good way, but it is likely to be an effective one.

> Many CAs offer robust "reseller" programs that would allow a local company
> to provide certificates to a given region in the local language and
> currency. I acknowledge that this does not address the "exterior political
> force" portion of the concern, but it does address the concern of making it
> easy for website operators in any given country to obtain certificates.

Some of my concerns relate particularly to this.  As an example, once upon
a time it was forbidden for US citizens in the general case to engage in
transactions with Cuban individuals or entities (whether a part of Cuban
government or not).  That would effectively disable US based CAs from
issuing end-entity certificates to those parties.  Today, I don't believe
we immediately have that restriction, but it can happen as it has happened
before.

After the example case I've mentioned elsewhere in this thread,
usareally.com, lost its certificate from Let's Encrypt, the CT Logs suggest
that they turned to GlobalSign (who I don't believe are US based) and yet
still issued and quickly revoked certificates for the site.  At this time,
the site ultimately secured certificates from WoTrust (I believe a managed
subCA effectively operated by Certum).  It's conceivable that geopolitical
concerns could prevent potential subscribers from getting certificates.

> The very next request in the Mozilla inclusion queue is for the UAE
> government. [2] Denying DarkMatter does not mean that there can't or won't
> be a CA in the UAE.

Indeed, which further opens up a question of what the outcome of the
initial question of whether to revoke/OneCRL the DarkMatter intermediates
means in terms of a future where the UAE is permitted a national PKI.  What
if you OneCRL Dark Matter, only to have the UAE National CA decide that
commercial and individual interests in the UAE would be served by having at
least one commercial CA operating in-country and so create a fully
delegated SubCA for DarkMatter?  (I have no insider knowledge at all here -
no reason to suspect things would or could go that way.)  But pre-supposing
the possibility that Mozilla would need to respond to that in some way is
intriguing.