On 3/7/19 6:59 PM, Jaime Hablutzel via dev-security-policy wrote:
> So the following holds true and (from my point of view) very critical
> indeed. Quoting Benjamin Gabriel:
>
>> ...that sovereign nations have the fundamental right to provide
>> digital services to their own citizens, utilizing their own
>> national root, without being held hostage by a provider situated in
>> another nation.  You should note that DarkMatter's request is also
>> for the inclusion of UAE's national root

I would question the assertion of any "fundamental right" of a sovereign
nation in this context; But sidestepping that there are still
alternative ways to achieve it than exposing all users globally to risk;
E.g nothing would stop a local linux distribution, or a localized
Microsoft product version, from including the root, or the user to
install it locally by choice, as its citizens are more likely to accept
the local laws as they are governed by them already.

Trust is ultimately a subjective consideration, and no list of
requirement can ever be the full set of requirement, as any system based
on such a method can and will be gamed.

--
Kristian Fiskerstrand
OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net