On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 10:20:34AM -0600, Matthew Hardeman wrote:
> Let's Encrypt does not quite provide certificates to everyone around the
> world.  They do prevent issuance to and revoke prior certificates for those
> on the United States various SDN (specially designated nationals) lists.
> For example, units of the Iraqi government or those acting at their behest
> may not receive Let's Encrypt certificates.
>
> Obviously that is not an issue for the UAE or its people.  At least not
> today.  But it always could be that it will be an issue someday.
>
> What the people of the UAE don't have today is the ability to acquire
> globally trusted certificates from a business in their own legal
> jurisdiction who would be able to provide them with certificates even in
> the face of exterior political force.

In the face of exterior political force, the people of the UAE couldn't get
*globally trusted* certificates full-stop.  Off the top of my head, all of
the widely-adopted web PKI trust stores are managed by US organisations.
One directive from the US government, and a trust anchor is *gone*.  Thus,
having a trust anchor is not even a *sufficient* condition to produce the
outcome you're advocating for, let alone a necessary one.

if the UAE government, or its people, wishes to ensure their supply of
"globally trusted" certificates, they need to start running their own PKI
trust store.

- Matt