Dear Mark!

Thank you for bringing in your perspective as a certificate consumer. We at
Siemens - as a certificate consumer - also have ~ 700 k affected personal
S/MIME certificates out in the field, all of them stored on smart cards (+ code
signing and TLS certificates ...). You can imagine, that rekeying them on short
notice would be a total nightmare.

> To be clear; "the issue" we're talking about is only truly 'solved' by the
> rotation and key destruction. Anything else, besides that, is just
> a risk calculation, and the CA is responsible for balancing that. Peter's
> highlighting how the fix for the *compliance* issued doesn't fix
> the *security* issue, as other CAs, like DigiCert, have also noted.

Currently, I'm not convinced, that the underlying security issue (whose
implication I of course fully understand and don't want to downplay) can only
be fixed by revoking the issuing CAs and destructing the old keys. Sadly, all
the brilliant minds on this mailing list are discussing compliance issues and
the interpretation of RFCs, BRGs and 15-year-old Microsoft announcements, but
it seems nobody is trying to find (or at least publicly discuss) a solution
that can solve the security issue, is BRG / RFC compliant and doesn't require
the replacement of millions of certificates - especially since many of those
millions of certificates are not even TLS certificates and their consumers
never expected the hard revocation deadlines of the BRGs to be of any relevance
for them. And therefore they didn't design their infrastructure to be able to
do an automated mass-certificate exchange.

With best regards,
Rufus Buschart

Siemens AG
Siemens Operations
Information Technology
Value Center Core Services
SOP IT IN COR
Freyeslebenstr. 1
91058 Erlangen, Germany
Tel.: +49 1522 2894134
mailto:rufus.busch...@siemens.com
www.twitter.com/siemens

www.siemens.com/ingenuityforlife

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Jim Hagemann
Snabe; Managing Board: Joe Kaeser, Chairman, President and Chief Executive
Officer; Roland Busch, Klaus Helmrich, Cedrik Neike, Ralf P. Thomas; Registered
offices: Berlin and Munich, Germany; Commercial registries: Berlin
Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, Munich, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 23691322